Sunday, May 2, 2010

Getting back on the horse...

I've taken a couple of weeks off from studying algebra - too tired trying to figure out this "lifestyle" change (a.k.a., a diet). I have such a one-track mind - I can only focus on one thing at a time most days, which probably isn't so good for a wannabe doctor. In fact, today I was pretty sure I was losing my mind all the way around. Worst conversation of the day:

T (that's me, of course): What can I do to help? (Hubby was remodeling the bathroom.)
A (that's hubby, of course): How about you take the light bulbs out of the bathroom fixture and put them in the ceiling fans? (We were missing a few here and there.)
T: OK.
Meanders around the house looking for scissors to open the damn blister pack of new bulbs, even though I wasn't supposed to be doing anything at all with them.
A: What are you doing?
T: Taking out the new bulbs.
Hubby explains yet again what I'm supposed to be doing, adding on a small request to put the new bulbs into the bathroom fixture (since I've already opened them).
T: OK, got it.
Starts meandering again - eventually takes the bulbs out of the bathroom fixture and puts them all where they're supposed to be. Has new bulbs in hand now and is suddenly very confused.
T: What am I doing with these?
A: You're kidding, right?
I meander into the bedroom to start something on the computer that I'd been thinking about doing all week. Hubby comes back in from the garage, where he's been sawing, painting...doing manly things. Turns on light switch in the bathroom. Nothing happens.
A: Where are the light bulbs?
T: I don't know.
A: You were supposed to put the new bulbs in.
T: Ooooohhhhh, yeah. Forgot...here I go.

I swear to you, he looked at me like I had three heads. He also looked a bit worried. Then I started getting worried and thinking, "Yup, definitely losing it." His reward for all of his hard work? (Drum roll, please)...food shopping with the wife. He hates food shopping. I like to think he likes spending time with me, though :) Anyway, after we were done, we slid on over to Subway for dinner - and as I stood in line, looking at all the options on the menu board, I completely spaced out. The lady must have asked me three or four times what I wanted - I heard her, I just didn't process it; thus, I didn't respond. Granted, I was completely baffled by the guy who, along with the rest of his family, cut in front of me in line. I also couldn't hear the girl behind the counter real well - background noise totally screws with my ears. So then she asks me three times what kind of bread I want, to which I eventually responded, "Flatbread." Which made no sense because I'd already ordered a $5 footlong and the flatbread is only 6". She was pretty nice, though - she just made it without asking any questions. Except the most dreaded question of all..."What do you want on it?" Oh, Lord, I had no idea what to even say. I was just staring into those little tubs of veggies thinking...well, nothing. Completely blank. It was a real process getting dinner, I can tell you. At the counter, hubby commented on what a long day it must have been because I was completely out of it - and then I felt bad because of course he had been doing all the hard work in the humidity all day.

Once my brain stopped processing, I started thinking about how slow my synapses must be firing and then I went into this whole other state of thought - completely crazy.

Now I'm pretty much ready for bed.

t.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my God, Tara! Now you have me worried :) This reminds me a little of the time around five years ago when I was writing my novel's first draft. It took me three months and that period is actually a weird blank in my memory. Hope you take a vacation soon!! :)

    ReplyDelete